Indiana University’s Dance Team, The RedSteppers, is an integral part of the IU Marching Hundred. Auditions are required and are usually held in April. Since 1972, the RedSteppers have added an element of sparkle to the band’s performances. The team focuses on many styles of dance including hip-hop, jazz, and pom, and has a tradition of executing a beautiful kick-line during each halftime performance. Members are actively involved in IU’s football game day experience. RedSteppers dance on the field as a spirit team during football games and perform with the band during halftime.
-Attend band camp the week before classes begin (August 15-21).
-Returning members sign up for band camp HERE. Rookie members sign up HERE.
-Fall practice is Monday-Friday 4:25-6:00pm
-Participants receive 2 class credits (MUS-X 50)
-Depending on how many years a dancer has been part of the band, the dancer is allowed to miss 30 minutes of class time per week due to other class conflicts.
- 1st year in band = 30 minutes of class time
- 2nd year in band = 60 minutes of class time
- 3rd year in band = 90 minutes of class time
- 4th year in band = 120 minutes of class time
* If a dancer must miss more than the amount of time above, the dancer will be a permanent alternate for the season.
Band Camp: August 15–21, 2021
Fall Performance schedule:
- Every home football game (all day)
- Usually one away game a year
- 2-3 volleyball games, 2-3 soccer games, 1-3 wrestling matches, 2-6 basketball games, clinics, community events, Riley Dance Marathon, Hoosier Hysteria, pep rallies, etc.
Spring Semester Schedule:
- Mondays and Wednesdays 4-6pm* (times subject to change)
- Participants receive 1 class credit
- Spring Semester is NOT mandatory. However, only those enrolled in the class are able to do spring performances.
Red Boot Boot Camp:
We will meet once in the summer to do team bonding and get a start on the season’s material. Dates for this will be given at auditions. It is mandatory unless there is an extenuating circumstance. Dancer would need to cover their own transportation and boarding.
The RedSteppers made program history in the 2020-2021 season when they competed at Dance Team Union’s National Competition. The plan is to continue to compete next year, hopefully in person if allowed. Those interested in competing will have a separate tryout during the season to be on the competition teams. Those on the competition teams will have extra practices during the fall and spring seasons. Competition is also an additional cost.