Indiana University RedStepper Dance Team
2022-2023 Information & Expectations
The RedStepper Dance Team is an integral part of the IU Marching Hundred. Since 1972, the team has added an element of sparkle to the band’s performances. The team focuses on many styles of dance, including jazz, pom, and hip hop, and has a tradition of executing a beautiful kick-line during each halftime performance. Members are actively involved in IU’s football game day experience. RedSteppers dance on the field as a spirit team during football games and perform with the band during halftime. Furthermore, the RedSteppers bring spirit performances to several events including IU basketball, soccer, volleyball, and wrestling, and other community events.
2022-2023 Auditions were finalized on May 1, 2022. Check back in February ’23 for next season’s audition information.
Mandatory Technique for Auditions:
- Right and Left Splits
- Triple turn on right side
- Turn Sequence: Minimum of 4 turns in second into a double
- Channe center (turning disc)
- Any switch leap on any side (Switch-tilt, switch-jete, switch-center, Switch-arabesque)
- Right Leg Hold Extension
Summer 2022 Commitments:
- 15 workouts/stretching exercises a month in May, June, and July. Workouts will be a mix of dancer’s choice and some videos sent for a specific workout.
- RedBoot Boot Camp: June 24-26th Summer intensive with the team to bond and start learning season material. Dancers will be responsible for their transportation. We try to find places to stay with those on the team already living in Bloomington.
- Summer Clinic: July 16. Click here to Register.
- NDA Camp: August 3-5
- Band Camp: August 14-20 Those living in dorms should move in on August 13.
Fall Semester Practice:
- M-F 4:00-6:00pm
- Participants receive 2 class credits (MUS-X 50)
- Depending on how many years a dancer has been part of the band, the dancer is allowed to miss 30 minutes of class time per week due to other class conflicts.*
- 1st year in band = 30 minutes of class time
- 2nd year in band = 60 minutes of class time
- 3rd year in band = 90 minutes of class time
- 4th year in band = 120 minutes of class time
- *If a dancer must miss more than the amount of time above, the dancer will be a permanent alternate for the season.
Fall Technique Class:
2 technique classes a month: September-November. Will schedule these around students’ schedules.
Spring Semester Practice:
- Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday 6:30-8:30pm
- 2 Saturdays a month January-March
- Participants receive 1 class credit (MUS-X 410)
- Spring Semester is NOT mandatory. However, only those enrolled in the class may participate in the spring performances.
- Every home Football Game (All Day)
- Usually one away game a year
- 2-3 volleyball games, 2-3 soccer games, 1-3 wrestling matches, 2-6 basketball games, clinics, community events, Riley Dance Marathon, Hoosier Hysteria, pep rallies, etc.
*All events are mandatory unless the dancer receives an excused absence. A minimum of 2 weeks notice is needed for an excused absence.
Those interested in competing will have a separate tryout during the season to be on the competition teams. Those on the competition teams will have extra practices during the fall and spring seasons. Competition is also an additional cost.
- Two weekends during the fall or spring semester will be dedicated to choreography learning
- Nationals are in Daytona, Florida in early April. Members are responsible for their travel expense.
- Competition dancers will stay on campus for spring break
The RedStepper Dance Team elevates the student experience and creates a positive impact on every dancer who has the privilege to be part of the team. We fund the program through clinics, private donations, and individual dancer costs.
The cost for the 2022-2023 school year will cover all expenses excluding travel expenses and personal items that members will keep. If a dancer has a financial hardship, the dancer can apply for RedStepper Financial Aid to help cover part of their costs.
Follow us on social!
Instagram and Facebook: IUredstepperdanceteam
Email me with questions: Brookelyn Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org