IU JSOM Resources and Information for composers
- IU Composition Department Music Notation Style Guide, a reference being developed in an effort to standardize IU composition department preferences for notation, particularly regarding theses and dissertations.
- Cook Music Library
- Composition Department Audio Recorder Checkout Form (intranet access)
- Rehearsal Room Reservations
- Music Library Purchase Request. Can’t find a score? Ask that it be ordered.
- Project Jumpstart Career Portal. Gain access to over 3000 listings of grants, auditions, teaching jobs, internships, competitions, festivals, and more through the Bridge database. For current JSOM students, faculty, and staff only.
- Writing Tutorial Services (WTS). Free help at any phase of the writing process — from brainstorming to polishing the final draft. Contact Writing Tutorial Services.
- Introduction to Computer Music. Electronic textbook by Professor Emeritus Jeffrey Hass.
Instrumentation / Orchestration
- Instrumentation Studies for Eyes and Ears. Interactive instrumentation with score, sound, and video by Prof. Don Freund. Requires Flash.
- Catalog of works for solo instrument and chamber groups demonstrating effective writing for each orchestral instrument.
- Lyric Hyphenator. A great resource when composing vocal music.
- Composing for Flute (and Piccolo), advice and warnings, by Helen Bledsoe (IU alumna, former member of NME)
- Compositional Tutorial for the E-flat Clarinet
- Multiphonics for Bb Clarinet
- Multiphonics for Modern Bassoon
- Resource for Harp Extended Techniques and Notation
- Score Follower. Curators of the Score Follower, Incipitsify, and Mediated Scores YouTube channels.
- New York Philharmonic Digital Archives. Searchable archive of concert programs and scores.
- Boosey & Hawkes study score library (YouTube).
- Blank Sheet Music. Free customizable music paper printing.
- IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library. The free public domain sheet music library.
- Internet Music Theory Database
- I301/I501 Comprehensive Listening List, including yearly lists starting from 2001. This is a useful resource for listening and general knowledge of repertoire. (intranet access)
- DRAM. (Database of Recorded American Music)
- Naxos Music Library (intranet access)