Ensemble Meeting Times: Monday-Friday, 2:50-4:05
Emergency procedures can be viewed here:
Ensemble enrollment in the Jacobs School of Music is a semester-long commitment. While every effort will be made to accommodate requests to pursue possible professional opportunities, the School’s published calendar of rehearsal/performance is an academic priority for all students, with any personal opportunities to be scheduled around it. Punctual attendance at all rehearsals and performances is required.
Your final grade will be determined by a combination of your attendance record, attitude, and contribution according to standards expected in a professional situation. Aside from rehearsal preparation, your assistance in maintaining an appropriate atmosphere is required (no use of cell phones/texting, computers, reading/homework for other classes, etc.).
Examples of excusable absences:
- Illness (documentation may be requested by the conductor)
- Auditions for a full-time professional position
- A student may be excused from a portion of ensemble rehearsal on the day of his/her degree recital hearing and may be excused from the entire rehearsal on the day of his/her degree recital.
- Religious observances
- Auditions for regional orchestras and summer festivals
- No student may ever be excused from a dress rehearsal or a performance for a recital or hearing.
- A student will not be excused for other ensemble appearances or non-required recitals.
- Absence or tardiness because of other lessons or classes will not be excused.
The final grade in X 40 will be affected for the following circumstances:
- Each unexcused absence will lower a grade one letter.
- An unexcused absence from a performance or dress rehearsal will ordinarily result in a failing grade for the semester.
- Use of a cell phone during any rehearsal or performance will result in a lowered grade for the semester.
- Two unexcused tardies are equal to one unexcused absence.
- The use of a substitute does not ensure an excused absence. Substitutes are required for various excused absences but not all. Do not provide a sub without notifying your conductor.
- A tardy at a dress rehearsal or performance lowers the grade one letter.
- Excessive excused absences will also affect the final grade.
Please consult with the conductor as soon as possible in the event of a known forthcoming absence. The legitimacy of any excuse will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Likewise, timely notification is required for unexpected absences. Email correspondence/ documentation is preferred. The conductor holds final discretion in determining if absences are excusable. Any absence not reported in advance will be considered unexcused (except in an emergency situation).
ANY MUSIC STUDENT WHO RECEIVES A FAILING GRADE IN ENSEMBLE IS AUTOMATICALLY PLACED ON ACADEMIC PROBATION; STUDENTS ON ACADEMIC PROBATION ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR FINANCIAL AID FROM THE I.U. JACOBS SCHOOL OF MUSIC.
Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band and Concert Band musicians should sign out music from the administrative assistant in M153, the Department of Bands/Wind Conducting. Please leave ALL music on the stand after the performance; a librarian will collect your folder. Fines will be assigned for lost or damaged music/folders.
The Jacobs School of Music recognizes both the importance of a student’s right to individual gender expression and the necessity for a unified and coherent look for ensemble performances. For JSoM concerts, students may choose:
Option 1: Solid, long-sleeved black blouse/shirt, floor-length black skirt or dress slacks, black shoes, no jewelry.
Option 2: Black tuxedo, white shirt, black bow tie, black shoes, and black socks.
NOT ACCEPTABLE: bare shoulders, arms, or midriff; sweaters; black T-shirts; tailcoats; spandex leggings; jeans; sweatpants; open toed shoes/sandals.