Concert Band meeting times: Monday-Friday, 2:50-4:05, MC040.
Conductor: Dr. Jason H. Nam
The Jacobs School of Music Concert Band performs major works of the traditional wind band repertoire as well as new compositions by leading composers. Consisting of both graduate and undergraduate music majors, this outstanding ensemble performs two or three concerts per semester and rehearses daily. A core group is often taken from the membership of the ensemble to form various chamber winds groups.
The band has played under the direction of various guest conductors including Frederick Fennell, Donald Hunsberger, John Whitwell and Ray Cramer and composers Karel Husa, Warren Benson, Samuel Adler, and Frank Ticheli. The group has recently premiered works by David Dzubay, Kevin Wilt, Joni Greene, and Kevin Walczyk. Recent soloists with the group have included Christopher Leslie of the West Point Concert Band, and faculty members Joey Tartell, trumpet, and Peter Ellefson, trombone.
Concert Band Fall 2022 Performances:
Thursday, September 15 – 8:00pm Auer Hall (Concert Band Chamber Ensembles)
Tuesday, October 4 – 8:00pm MAC (Concert Band and Symphonic Band)
Tuesday, November 8 – 8:00pm Auer Hall (Concert Band)
Tuesday, November 15 – 8:00pm MAC (Bands Showcase)
*Harp and Piano expected to rehearse on Brass/Perc sectional days (unless otherwise communicated), in addition to Full Ensemble days.
Thursday, September 15: Concert Band Chamber Winds
- Overture to Dancer in the Dark by Bjork Guðmundsdóttir/Arr. Strizek/Richardson
- Serenade for Wind Nonet by Katahj Copley
- Divertimento by Karel Husa (Luis Espinosa, conductor)
- Dolly Suite, Op. 56 by Gabriel Fauré/trans. Woodley
- Träumerei by Robert Schumann/trans. Galus
Tuesday, October 4: Concert Band and Symphonic Band
- On Parade by Amanda Aldridge/trans. Bove
- Radiant Joy by Steven Bryant (Tess Jones, conductor)
- Heartworm by Amanda Feery
- Fiesta Del Pacifico by Roger Nixon
Tuesday, November 8: Concert Band
- Bright Shadow Fanfare by Nicole Piunno
- Dream Elegy by Jonathan Bailey Holland
- Home Away from Home by Catherine Likhuta
- TBA (Chris Nelson, conductor)
- Canadian Folksong by Luke Henry (premiere)
- Symphony for Band, Op. 69 by Vincent Persichetti
- Sleep by Eric Whitacre
- Postcard by Frank Ticheli
Tuesday, November 15: Fall Showcase
- TBA (Clint McClanahan, conductor)
- From the Delta by William Grant Still