Beyond an Internship…
- Tailored curriculum to meet the needed competencies and skills of healthcare leaders
- Close preceptor and student partnerships for support on complex projects or continuous improvement projects
- Students will offer a fresh perspective, brand establishment, and relationship cultivation.
- Advanced leadership development opportunities for preceptors and students (valued at $8,000 per person) including Professional Agile Scrum Master Training delivered by Agility Consulting, Lean Certifications, Project Management, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Certification, and more.
Practicum I begins at the beginning of the Fall semester, followed by Practicum II in mid Fall. The course is wrapped up by Capstone in the Spring semester.
Practicum I is where students get the opportunity to refine their resumes and apply to their practicum sites. Following applications, students undergo interviews and then placement. The start times at their sites vary but are typically by the end of Practicum I or the beginning of Practicum II.
The practicum experience is an opportunity for you as a student to expand your learning from the classroom in real time. The work you execute and your level of professionalism at your practicum site reflects on you as a future healthcare leader and the entire MSHM program. Take full advantage of this opportunity to maximize your potential as a future healthcare leader.
Take Ownership of Your Practicum Experience
- To maximize your return on this experience, you should be seeking out project work, experiences that will meet your development needs, and networking with others throughout the organization
- Reflect on your development needs – your SMART goals should reflect those needs – your Action Plan will help you meet those needs
- Be proactive in your development by holding yourself accountable to meet your SMART goals and perform the tasks outlined in your Action Plan
- See the Personal Accountability section for further details and tips