All seven sections, from the introduction to the conclusion have been drafted, but that does not mean my internship is over. Now that my report was written, it was time to go back and revise. While it may seem daunting to go back through every section with a fine tooth comb, the best way I’ve found to approach editing long documents is the same way I approach writing them- just take the paper one section at a time.
While revising my report I focused on three areas: content, grammar, and visual structures. In revising the content, I worked tirelessly with my supervisor to go over each section and look for sentences which either lacked specific details or didn’t quite make sense in the context of the report. Some of the content concerns for my draft dealt with details about digital preservation which I did not know. In order to address some of our concerns, I went back to my experts and emailed them specific questions which they were all happy to discuss with me via email.
When revising my grammar, I knew that I was too close to the report to be able to catch every punctuation mistake. To combat this issue, I enlisted the help of an old friend and copy editor. They were able to walk through my report with me and show me my most common grammatical mistakes throughout my report. My most frequent mistakes dealt with verb tense disagreements and misplacement of commas. Knowing what to look for, I was able to go back through the report with a new perspective and revise my grammar.
The third area I needed to revise was the visual structure of my report. As a visual learner, my supervisor suggested I go back through my report to bold and italicize vocabulary terms, particularly in my primary research section, to help readers better understand the report. I never would have thought to make those changes myself, but with her insights I was able to change the visual structure of the report to transform the report from large blocks of uninterrupted text to smaller chunks of text with bolded terms, bulleted lists, and subsection headings.
With the editing of my report complete, the sole project of my internship is finished! The next blog post will be the last for this internship, but while this internship is ending the work on digital preservation for IULMIA is only beginning. Stay tuned for my final post!