That’s right! We want you to take the Tops Off of your plastic bottles – they are valuable!
Several years ago, a student introduced us to a local resource that turns plastic bottle caps into benches. The Elkhart County 4-H Fair collects them and they come back as benches to the fairgrounds.
You can be a part of beautifying the largest Indiana county fairgrounds by depositing lids in the buckets labeled with the Tops Off sign.
What lids are accepted? Thanks for asking!
CAPS: SORTED, WASHED, CLEAN AND DRY
- Medicine Bottle Caps minus cardboard inserts & Medicine Bottles (2,4,5 with label removed)
- Flip-top caps (ie: Ketchup, Mustard, Creamer tops)
- Drink Bottle Caps
- Milk Jug Caps
- Detergent Caps
- Hair Spray Caps
- Spout caps (i.e.: Mustard tops)
- Spray Paint Caps
- Toothpaste Tube Caps
- Ointment Tube Caps
- Deodorant Caps
LIDS: SORTED, WASHED AND CLEAN
- Cottage Cheese Container Lids
- Cool Whip Container Lids
- Mayonnaise Jar Lids
- Coffee Can Lids
- Yogurt Lids
- Cream Cheese Container Lids
- Peanut Butter Container Lids
- Butter Container Lids
- Ice Cream Bucket Lids
- Metal Of Any Kind with the plastic
- Soap Pumps, Lotion Pumps and Trigger Sprayers
- Fast Food Drink Lids or Coffee Lids or #1
- Unclean lids & caps
With all of the acceptable caps listed above, they are looking for a recycle number of 2, 4, or 5. They will also take medicine and vitamin bottles (all paper taken off bottle) if they have a recycle number of 2, 4, or 5.
See the original post about the project, “Bottle Caps to Benches“