Black Lives Matter started in 2013, and took off in May 2020 to create one of the largest social justice movements in the country’s history. It now reaches around the world. This movement is still growing and you can help by donating your time, money, and/or intellect. In addition to the organizations mentioned in last week’s blog (No Space For Hate Bloomington, The Purple Shirt Brigade and Enough is Enough: Bloomington) we have put together a list of organizations, businesses, and fundraisers either associated with or supporting the Black Lives Matter movement.
- Black Lives Matter Bloomington — Bloomington’s local BLM chapter, you can donate to their Venmo @BLM-BTOWN.
- People’s Market — This market is woman, Black & POC, and vendor & farmer led.
- The Okra Project — This organizations pays Black trans chefs to cook meals for Black trans people.
- Hopscotch Coffee — Partnered with BLM B-Town along with many other important local non-profits as part of their work with the community.
- South Bend BLM chapter in South Bend, Indiana — you can donate to their PayPal account.
- Indiana Youth Group — This organization provides programs for LGBTQ+ youth and allies free of charge.
- Indiana Pride of Color (INDYPOC) — LGBTQ+ organization in support of the BLM movement.
- Support Black-owned Indiana businesses — This is a list of Black-owned Indiana businesses all over the state.
- IndySURJ — Indiana chapter for Showing Up for Racial Justice.
- Indy10 Black Lives Matter — Indianapolis BLM chapter.
- Black Youth Project — This media outlet highlights the voices and ideas of Black millennials.
- Bail Fund — This non-profit posts bail for everyone arrested at peaceful protests.
- Youtube playlist — If you want to donate but don’t have the money, you can watch this YouTube playlist and all money earned through ad revenue is donated to Black Lives Matter and associated organizations. This isn’t the only playlist either, a quick Google search can pull up multiple playlists!
- Black Lives Matter partners — This is the list of BLM partner organizations that you can donate to and follow.
- 142 Ways to Donate — If you’re already involved with everything we’ve listed, check out this news article with over 100 ways you can help.
Do you have a local organization that should be on this list? Please let us know in a comment and we will add it! To read ScIU’s statement supporting the Black Lives Matter movement, click here.
Edited by Joe Vuletich and Jennifer Sieben