Brief interlude from the throws of libraries to discuss the fact that I’ve never worked in a real office-y professional setting before and I have been learning a lot about adult jobs. Especially when there are only 3 employees and me, the lowly intern.
- We have to coordinate our lunch breaks! We each get 30 minutes and coordinate everything so the desk is never left alone.
- We also get little breaks to walk around for 5-10 minutes if we want one. I normally stick it out because I’m not there as long as others but I get offered a break.
- It’s freezing. This probably not a surprise to anyone but wow it is so incredibly cold in there! Cardigans fo’ dayyyzz
- One person’s schedule effects everyone else. No one can sub-in. If someone is out, everyone has to work extra to make sure the hours are covered and nothing slips through the cracks.
- Everyone has their role. There is no rule as to who puts up the newspaper or collects packages. But duties have been delegated and that’s that.
One thing I truly love about the Ivy Tech library is their internal calendar. Google Calendar? No. Outlook? No. It’s a medium-sized paper desktop calendar on the edge of the circ/reference desk. There, they record if someone will be working abnormal hours, instruction schedule, events, and breaks. I love it. It makes the small size of the library go from feeling small to feeling intimate and it’s wonderful. Not hating on the size of Wells at all, but I do like the small size of Ivy Tech. I do wish it was a bit noisier – silence makes me antsy.