On Sunday, the Winter 2022 Paralympic Games in Beijing will be coming to a close and probably not a moment too soon given the warmer weather and melting snows. Of the 19 countries participating, the USA is currently in 9th place with 2 gold, 9 silver, and 3 bronze for a total of 14 medals altogether. The International Paralympics Committee has a great website that captures news, images, and heartfelt stories of the athletes and coaches that are participating. Check it out at https://www.paralympic.org/.
The following is a list of further reading on the Paralympics, sports, and adaptive physical education that can be checked out from the Library at the IIDC:
- Adapted Physical Education and Sport by Joseph P. Winnick, editor
- Inclusive Physical Activity: Promoting Health for a Lifetime by Susan L. Kasser and Rebecca K. Lytle
- A Sporting Chance: How Ludwig Guttmann Created the Paralympic Games by Lori Alexander
- Stacked Against the Odds: Life with Autism and How a Unique Sport Changed My Life by Jesse L. Horn
- A Teacher’s Guide to Adapted Physical Education: Including Students with Disabilities in Sports and Recreation by Martin E. Block
- Universal Design for Learning in Physical Education by Lauren J. Lieberman, Michelle Grenier, Ali Brian, and Katrina Arndt