I’ve decided upon the books for my RA scenarios:
Scenario 1: Young, white male, 14, in with a parent who says he doesn’t like reading anymore but plays a lot of sports and Fortnite. He did like the Avengers movie and enjoys Stranger Things.
- The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
- Warcross by Marie Lu
- The Woods by James Tynion
Scenario 2: 12 year old, African American female, in by herself, who enjoys romance novels, but nothing too “steamy” or mature. She is interested in either historical or contemporary romance and would prefer a series or an author with multiple titles.
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
- The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
- The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon
Scenario 3: 16 year old, voracious reader, who wants scifi/dystopia, but she has read all the staples/popular series. She wants good, complex characters and worldbuilding.
- Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
- War Girls by Tochi Onyebuchi
- This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada
Scenario 4: 13 year old, white demale, who wants stories with LGBTQIA+ characters, but she enjoys horror and graphic novels and does not want romance as a primary driver.
- Lumberjanes by Noelle Stevenson
- Paper Girls by Brian K. Vaughn
- Sawkill Girls by Claire Legrand
- Out of Salem by Hal Schrieve