Would you like to audition to be in a jazz band?
- Auditions are held on the first day of camp. After your large ensemble audition is over, head over to the jazz audition room.
- Auditions consist of a Bb concert scale two octaves and sight-reading selected from the music to be performed.
- Additionally, students may also choose to demonstrate their improvisational skills during the audition. This is optional. Students choosing to improvise will be asked to feature their ability in one of the following ways:
- Improvise a solo over an accompaniment provided by CD. Please note that students choosing this option must provide their own CD (a CD player will be provided)
- Improvise a solo over a 12-bar blues in F (concert). Accompaniment will be provided.
Students auditioning on drum set will be asked to play sixteen bars of each of the following styles:
- swing ballad (w/brushes) at 80 bpm
- funk at 110 bpm
- swing at 110bpm and 144bpm
- bossa nova at 144 bpm
- jazz waltz at 168 bpm
- drum set players may also be asked to sight read