The Jacobs School of Music is pleased to host a residency by nationally recognized ensemble, New Morse Code, from October 24-November 7.
As Grand Prize Winners of the Ariel Avant Impact Performance Prize, the duo – Hannah Collins, cello, and Michael Compitello, percussion – will join composers Christopher Stark and Andy Akiho to develop a national tour that features new work alongside recent compositions that address resilience, sustainability and scientific innovation. The ensemble will work with Jacobs School of Music alumnus, Evan Chapman, on video documentation of their activity.
Events at IU include a public performance (Nov. 4 at 5pm in Auer Hall), discussions with IU environmentalists (Nov. 1 at the Cook Center), workshops for students, masterclasses, and a trip to Salem, Indiana for a public workshop and performance.
The New Morse Code project is hosted by the Jacobs School’s Office of Entrepreneurship & Career Development and is part of IU’s Themester 2021: Resilience. Other partners include Arts Midwest and the IU Center for Rural Engagement.
Questions? For more information, please contact the OECD – email@example.com
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
10/26 – Tuesday
- Discussion: “Introduction to Music Entrepreneurship” Class
10/27 – Wednesday
- Percussion Department Masterclass with Andy Akiho
10/29 – Friday
- A Well-Advised Lunch with New Morse Code
12:15-1:15pm | MU011
Students: Sign up Here
10/30 – Saturday in Salem
- A Public Workshop with New Morse Code and composers Chris Stark and Andy Akiho
10am | Pioneer Village, John Hay Center (free)
- New Morse Code Public Performance
3:00pm | Salem Middle School Auditorium (free)
11/01 – Monday
- A Conversation between New Morse Code and IU Climate Scientists and Artists
7:00pm | IU Cook Center for the Arts & Humanities, Grand Hall (Maxwell Hall)
11/02 – Tuesday
- Three Workshops for Indiana University Students
Starting Times: 8am – 11:30am – 3pm
“Community Creative” Triangle Room.
Eskenazi Museum of Art “Community Creative” Triangle Room
11/03 – Wednesday
- Historical Performance Institute HPI Colloquium with Hannah Collins
- Composition Department Forum with Chris Stark and Andy Akiho
- Percussion Masterclass with Michael Compitello
11/04 – Thursday
- New Morse Code Concert with Composer Chris Stark
5:00pm | Auer Hall
First public performance of The Language of Landscapes and other works
11/05 – Friday
- Innovation Roundtable Discussion with New Morse Code and Partners
12:00pm | MU011 and on Zoom
The ensemble and composers will discuss the relationship between innovation and past practice, as well as long-term collaborations that lead to innovation.