The Jacobs School of Music Community Engagement Initiative, a project that covers creative activity from 2018-2023, was designed to improve quality of life throughout rural Indiana through meaningful arts engagement. Through collaborative programming, projects and performances, the project created an impact that aligned directly with the needs, aspirations and vision of our partner communities. Click here to explore a full list of our projects.
What’s the Latest?
Carnival of the Animals, the Film
A group of JSoM students were filmed performing Camille Saint-Saëns “Carnival of the Animals” as part of an education outreach project directed towards elementary schools in rural Indiana. Read about it here!
Team Spotlight: Brian McDonie
Jacobs doctorate student Brian McDonie joined the JSoM Rural Engagement Initiative in 2019 as lead project manager; he sat down for an interview at the completion of the project, discussing the personal impact of his experiences working on the project. Find out more!
Keep up with our latest projects, collaborations, and the accomplishments of our students and community partners on our news page!
Our Home Base
The Jacobs School of Music’s Office of Entrepreneurship and Career Development supports students as they prepare for innovative, creative, and successful lives in the performing arts.
Our Campus Partner
The IU Center for Rural Engagement (CRE) improves the lives of Hoosiers through collaborative initiatives that discover and deploy scalable and flexible solutions to common challenges facing rural communities. Working in full-spectrum community innovation through research, community-engaged teaching and student service, the center builds vision, harnesses assets and cultivates sustainable leadership structures within the communities with which it engages to ensure long-term success.
- IMPROVE the lives of the people living in Indiana.
- DISCOVER and deploy solutions to the problems facing rural communities.
- BUILD durable and robust partnerships with regional communities while supporting or complementing the efforts of other regional organizations.
- WORK with our partners to develop a sense of shared future in the region.
- EDUCATE and mobilize an IU student volunteer force to serve the needs and support the goals of rural communities.
- DEMONSTRATE how a research university’s broad resources can improve the well-being of Indiana and the lives of those who live here.
Have an idea for a project or collaboration? Questions? Let us know here!