The Jacobs School of Music Community Engagement Initiative improves quality of life throughout rural Indiana through meaningful arts engagement. We encourage Jacobs faculty and students to use their unique abilities to discover and deploy solutions for problems facing rural communities. Through collaborative programming, projects and performances, we create an impact that aligns directly with the needs, aspirations and vision of our partner communities. Click here to explore a full list of our projects.
What’s the Latest?
The Sound of Molecules: Electronic Music and a Rainbow Suit
Turning molecular data sets into sound, Chemist-composer Walker Smith marries his passions for music and chemistry into a performance that is both entertaining and educational. Read about it here!
Alex Tedrow: Engaging Communities, Inspiring Students
IU grad student Alex Tedrow presented a three-day workshop to Jenna Sear’s Brown County Middle School eighth grade music technology class in October. Find out more!
Keep up with our latest projects, collaborations, and the accomplishments of our students and community partners on our news page!
2021-2022 Year in Review
- Explore our portfolio of 2021-2022 projects!
- Review the 2020-2021 JSoM Community Engagement Initiative Impact Report
Our Home Base
The Jacobs School of Music’s Office of Entrepreneurship and Career Development supports students as they prepare for innovative, creative, and successful lives in the performing arts.
Our Campus Partner
The IU Center for Rural Engagement (CRE) improves the lives of Hoosiers through collaborative initiatives that discover and deploy scalable and flexible solutions to common challenges facing rural communities. Working in full-spectrum community innovation through research, community-engaged teaching and student service, the center builds vision, harnesses assets and cultivates sustainable leadership structures within the communities with which it engages to ensure long-term success.
- IMPROVE the lives of the people living in Indiana.
- DISCOVER and deploy solutions to the problems facing rural communities.
- BUILD durable and robust partnerships with regional communities while supporting or complementing the efforts of other regional organizations.
- WORK with our partners to develop a sense of shared future in the region.
- EDUCATE and mobilize an IU student volunteer force to serve the needs and support the goals of rural communities.
- DEMONSTRATE how a research university’s broad resources can improve the well-being of Indiana and the lives of those who live here.
Have an idea for a project or collaboration? Questions? Let us know here!