Current JSOM majors who want to add or change major to composition:
- Follow directions at Music Admissions to complete an application.
- submit a portfolio of completed works (pdf), list of compositions (pdf) – including date of composition, instrumentation, and duration, and if possible, performance recordings (mp3) to the chair of the composition department, preferably in a folder shared via OneDrive (or Google Drive). Scores and recordings will be evaluated by the composition faculty; an interview with the student may be requested.
Directions for current composition majors applying for an advanced degree:
1a. BM to MM/MCM/MSVM
Complete an online application to the University Graduate School and a complete JSOM graduate application by December 1. You will need one of the faculty to write a letter of recommendation.
1b. MM/MCM to DM
Complete the one-page application form that is available in the Jacobs School of Music Admissions Office by December 1 and follow their procedures. You do NOT need to have an IU composition faculty member write a letter for you; we will submit a departmental recommendation based on the portfolio.
2. And for ALL internal applicants:
- There is NO pre-screening for current IU composition majors.
- Interviews will be scheduled in late February.
- Upload the following items to the JSOM Supplemental Application site before February 15 for priority consideration for financial aid:
- a) Chronological list of compositions, including instrumentation, duration, date
- b) Curriculum Vitae
- c) 3-4 scores, including one work for large instrumental ensemble (orchestra, wind ensemble, chamber orchestra, or sinfonietta)
- d) At least two recordings
Deadline for applying for Composition associate instructorships and graduate assistantships: February 15
Information and Application Guidelines for associate instructorships and graduate assistantships in the Composition Department (printable .pdf format). Applicants to the School of Music should wait to apply for these positions until after you hear from us in late December or early January, once we have completed our screening process for graduate applications.
If you are interested in interviewing for an associate instructorship in Music Theory, inform the composition faculty at your interview.