Plastic bags have become an essential part of our lifestyle, no matter where you live or what is your socioeconomic status. Just look around and you’ll notice plastic bags almost everywhere around you, lying unnoticed on streets, wrenched up in offshoots of trees and plants, or just moving alongside the breeze…
These plastic bags may appear aesthetic and pretty, but they cause so much irreversible harm to the nature and our ecological system. The environment is damaged dreadfully by so many human activities, with the usage of plastic bags being on top.
In this post, we shall talk about the actual threats of plastic bags, and why do people continue using them, despite knowing what they do to our unique and exclusive environment. We shall also learn about all the alternatives one can use instead of plastic bags.
Threats caused by the usage of plastic bags:
- These bags are the major reason for clogged drains, which often results in the risk of floods and blockage of water.
- Animals bear so much pain because this uninterrupted use of these bags.
- The innocent terrestrial animals end up consuming the plastic present in their surrounding, which later becomes the reason for their gradual and agonizing death.
- Oceans, rivers and seas are filled with more litter of plastic than any other kind.
- The plastic which ends up in oceans, annihilate the marine life.
- These are not only non-biodegradable, but are also photo-degradable, so even if it decomposes, the small particles remain in the soil, which are not environment friendly.
Here’s why people continue using plastic bags despite knowing its threats:
- The knowledge is not enough to cease people from littering of plastic bags.
- We, humans need more encouragement to act upon something we already know.
- It is unfortunate that we humans have become too accustomed to using plastics, especially the single use products. That is probably why it is difficult for us to do away with them altogether. We will need to put in conscious efforts to make it happen.
- A survey was conducted with the conclusion that that people primarily did not use reusable products at home, which in turn led to negligence towards reusable bags.
Alternatives of plastic bags
- A simple jute bag – this affordable jute bags are easy, long-lasting and eco-friendly, as they degrade organically within 2 years
- Denim bags – strong, can hold heavy stuff, and more importantly it can be fabricated from old denim jeans or jackets, which is beneficial for our environment.
- Canvas bags – pocket friendly and lightweight, available in various forms and colors for different uses.
- Use of recently developed bags that are fabricated from the natural starch and vegetable disposal are a great alternative for plastic bags. These bags biodegrade organically within few months.
- A positive approach to reduce the expanding production of plastic, and recycling the ones that has been produced already can help in avoiding the mounding of plastic.
The excessive use of plastic has given birth to several vital and urgent concerns. All it takes is a bit of helping hand to reduce it. As a generation living in the plastic era, it’s our responsibility to do whatever it takes to eliminate to use of it and save our precious environment.