The IU School of Optometry recently welcomed its new first-year OD students, the Class of 2024. Of the applicant pool of 490 candidates, 86 students started their first week of optometry classes at IUSO on Aug. 24.
Learn more about the newest members of IUSO.
Where are they from?
- 30 are Indiana residents.
- 56 are non-residents
- From 21 other U.S. states
- 1 student from Canada
Who are the Class of 2024 students?
- 53 are women, and 33 are men.
- The students range in age from 21–37 years old, with the median age of 22 years old.
- Of the new class, 15% are a minority and 5.8% are underrepresented minorities.
- Their cumulative undergraduate mean GPA is 3.58.
What are their Optometry Admission Test (OAT) mean scores?
Their OAT Academic Average is 321, which is slightly higher than the Class of 2023. Here is the breakdown:
Biology = 319
Physics = 300
General Chemistry = 317
Organic Chemistry = 306
Total Science = 310
Reading Comprehension = 348
Quantitative Reasoning = 337