Dr. Keith Carver is the Chancellor at University of Tennessee at Martin and arguably the biggest Skyhawks fan on campus. Chancellor Carver covers several interesting and important topics across higher education and college athletics in this interview. The episode begins with an institutional profile and history lesson about UTM and their athletic nicknames. He explains why that century old motto of athletics being the “Front Porch” is true, except that he thinks it’s more like a living room. Chancellor Carver shares why university systems can be incredibly valuable collaboration opportunities, and what the system president’s role is in oversight of national issues facing college athletics. Travis asks the question on what a president or chancellor’s role is in athletic conference governance and whether college leaders would talk very much if it weren’t for athletics. Chancellor Carver shares his leadership philosophy working with his athletic director Kurt McGuffin and ends the conversation with advice on what prospective ADs need to know about challenges ahead for higher education and why they should be subscribed to Inside Higher Ed and The Chronicle of Higher Education. Spoiler Alert: The chancellor is a confirmed D1.Ticker subscriber and enjoys winding down with a good Evening Standard to keep pace with college athletics.
SPECIAL ISSUE Call for Proposals: The Sports Innovation Journal, published by the IUPUI Sports Innovation Institute, is seeking commentary and empirical research submissions for a special issue on the changing landscape of intercollegiate athletics and the NCAA governance model.
The questions/topics show as chapters in the video above and separately linked with timestamp below:
- 2:00 Institutional Profile
- 4:14 History of Athletic Nickname Changes at UT Martin
- 7:00 Campus Identity as the Skyhawks
- 8:50 “Living Room” Instead of “Front Porch”
- 10:54 The Role of Athletics Amidst an Enrollment Decline
- 13:41 The Future of University System Collaborations in College Athletics
- 20:51 System President/Board Chair Oversight of Chancellors on NCAA/Athletics Decisions
- 24:33 Leadership Philosophy Working with VC/AD Kurt McGuffin
- 29:25 How Future ADs Can Better Understand Overall Institutional Administration
- 34:31 Explaining Chancellor Role in Governing at the Conference Level
- 36:35 Would College Presidents Speak Much without College Athletics?
- 38:33 Higher Ed Changes Future ADs Should Understand