UNO Vice President of Athletics and Recreation Tim Duncan joined the Higher Ed Athletics podcast and started the conversation with an institutional profile. Duncan is well-known as a speaker throughout the industry but even he acknowledges this interview brought different questions than he typically is asked. Duncan talks not just about creating a strategic plan for the athletic department, but also how they will benchmark against it and hold themselves accountable to the plan. Smith asks about the institutional collaborations within athletic departments in the University of Louisiana System. He shares how being the only D1 school in the system that doesn’t offer football can be seen as a challenge or opportunity. Duncan ends the conversation with some great advice on the importance of a good boss when evaluating job opportunities.
SPECIAL ISSUE Call for Proposals: The Sports Innovation Journal, published by the IUPUI Sports Innovation Institute, is seeking commentary and empirical research submissions for a special issue on the changing landscape of intercollegiate athletics and the NCAA governance model.
The questions/topics show as chapters in the video above and separately linked with timestamp below:
- Institutional Profile (:35)
- Athletics Relationship w/ NOLA (2:20)
- 100 Meetings in 100 Days (6:05)
- Revenue Generating Vision (7:55)
- Strategic Plan Benchmarking (12:00)
- System Affiliated Collaborations (14:20)
- Only School in System W/Out Football (17:05)
- 1st Impression of UNO President (19:05)
- Privateers for Equality (23:33)
- D2 Versus D1 AD Chair (27:53)
- Lessons Learned Early in AD Career (31:02)
- Advice for Mid/Senior Level Administrators (33:15)