Have you heard? Indiana University is celebrating 200 years. So where do you fit in?
The IU Bicentennial is a unique opportunity to celebrate our roots and, just as importantly, champion our future. Whether you’re marketing a school that was established in 1880 or an event that kicks off next month, we encourage you to make the Bicentennial your own on the marketing materials you produce from July 2019 to June 2020.
1. Use the Bicentennial mark
The easiest way to acknowledge the Bicentennial is to apply the Bicentennial mark to your new or existing marketing materials.
Bicentennial marks are designed to work well in any format. Choose from more than 50 versions of Bicentennial marks on the IU Brand site.
2. Work the Bicentennial into your content
Your campus, school, or unit doesn’t have to be old to be relevant. The IU Bicentennial celebrates the past, the present, and the future of Indiana University—and your story can start anywhere in that 200-year timeline.
- Pay tribute to traditions: who started them, why they began, and how they’ve evolved
- Add names and faces: your founding faculty, your famous alumni, your top researchers
- Use numbers: for example, how many alumni, over how many years, compared to 10, 20, or 200 years ago
- Think big: how are IU students shaping the futures of entire industries?
Find more Bicentennial messaging ideas on the IU Brand site. Note: there is no official tagline for the Bicentennial.
3. Dig into your photo archives
University and campus archives hold millions of images dating back to 1815. Additionally, your school or unit may have a photo archive of its own. Try to find images that are not just old, but iconic. Look for:
- Signs of the times: dated hair or clothing styles, ancient technology, classic cars
- Beginnings of traditions: that thing your school, campus, or unit is known for
- Engagement: people doing things, preferably with other people
- Emotional response: images that make you smile, laugh, or feel curious
You can see our favorite Bicentennial image examples on the IU Brand site.
Go big for Bicentennial
Nothing’s stopping you from using a Bicentennial mark, message, and image all at once. We’ve designed a flexible system around these three key elements, so that you can honor the Bicentennial lightly, moderately, or heavily, depending on your needs.
Learn more about the Bicentennial system on the IU Brand site, and celebrate responsibly!