Fire is an essential element that is part of our daily chores. Be it our homes, schools or the universities, it is impossible to go on without using fire. And when it comes to a college campus, then there are many other machinery and electrical equipment apart from canteen devices that can potentially catch fire if not maintained or utilized correctly.
Practically, it is really difficult to keep track of every corner and monitor is continuously for fire. But Campus Fire Watch Services offers holistic services to keep the colleges fire-proof and safe for all.
Possible reasons for fire on campus
There can be countless reasons why fire breaks out in a campus, like –
- Fire can break out in the kitchen where it is used to make food for the students
- The fire used in laboratories for experiments can lead to accidents
- Fire from alcohol is a common cause in colleges across the world
- Electrical devices might catch fire due to short circuit
- Smoke also causes fire and destruction
Safety tips for students on and off-campus
As studies reveal, most of the fire accidents occur off the campus, but still, that does not mean that on-campus fire is a distant reality. There can be endless possibilities of catching fire on the campus too. Students and teachers, as well as the non-teaching staff, must be trained to use extra caution when they are working with fire.
Here are some tips to follow on campus, to keep it free from fire hazards.
Safety while using candles:
- You should use the candles in a firm holder so that they do not topple over and fall.
- Using flameless candles is a safer option.
- If you do not need the candle, just put it off immediately, do not leave it.
- Keep the candle a safe distance of anything that can catch fire.
Safety while cooking:
- Cook in the designated places only.
- Keep the area clean and free of clutter.
- Always keep a safe distance while cooking and give your full attention.
Safety while smoking:
- You need to keep an ashtray while burning and disposing of the ashes and cigarette butts.
- Do not toss cigarettes or butts casually into bins.
Safety while using electric appliances:
- Keep the lamps, bulbs, and other electrical devices at a safe distance.
- Never use extension cords with heavy electrical appliances like microwave oven, fridge, etc.
- Use surge protectors at all times.
- Never overload the power outlets.
What should the university ensure on the campus?
The university should have strict rules that need to be followed by the students if they are working with fire.
Besides, the university should install smoke alarms across all places on the campus, and go for a regular fire-checks. They should give the students useful lessons on how to handle the fire or any situations without panicking.
It is also important to regularly inspect the safety doors and windows to check their functionality and enlighten students about the detailed floor plan of the campus so that they know the escape routes well.