The USDA, ARS, National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research (NCAUR), Peoria, IL is hiring a Research Microbiology Assistant to work for 6 months (ideally May-Oct 2022) for 40 hrs/week. The salary range for this position is $17.31/hr – $20.58/hr (GS Level 5-6), depending on the employee’s experience level.
The employee will assist in an ongoing project to isolate and identify pathogen communities of wheat and barley across the Midwest and test how pathogen communities compete or alter host disease outcomes within wheat and barley crops in greenhouse experiments. Prior experience in either lab and/or field biology and plant maintenance is preferred. The position will give the employee the opportunity to gain experience in basic microbiology and molecular biology, plant growth and maintenance, agricultural fieldwork, and experimental design.
The employee will be expected to assist in microbiology fieldwork, which requires the ability to tolerate working under hot, humid, and insect-prone conditions, as well as the patience to spend long hours driving between locations. Please see OPM’s Qualification Standards for the 0404 series for more details on the specific qualifications that must be met. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen and have a valid U.S. driver’s license.
To apply, please submit a resume, the contact information for two references, a copy of your academic transcripts, and a one-page cover letter expressing why you are interested in this position and how it would help you reach your career goals. Applications should be submitted via email by Feb 15th to Briana Whitaker (firstname.lastname@example.org). NCAUR and the Whitaker Lab are committed to hiring and training a diverse group of people to promote equity, opportunity, and inclusivity in STEM careers.
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service
- Successful adjudication of fingerprint check
- Federal employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of their duty location. If selected, you will be required to submit documentation of COVID-19 vaccination by November 22, 2021 or before appointment, if after November 22.
- The agency will provide additional information regarding what COVID-19 vaccination information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of the agency a legally required exception from this requirement.
This is not a Pathways Internship. USDA/ARS is an equal opportunity employer and provider.