Prof. Irene Newton’s Biology lab has posted a job via the IU Career Development Center on Handshake. To apply: Create a Handshake account (if you don’t already have one), and then apply by uploading a resume.
Accepting applications until Friday, April 16, at 5:00 pm. Looking for someone to start in April or May, continue through summer semester and the next academic year.
Under moderate supervision, the student research laboratory assistant shall provide help in cleaning and maintaining lab materials for the researchers in Irene Newton’s laboratory in the Biology Department of Indiana University, Bloomington. Training will be provided.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Autoclave and properly dispose of BSL-1 waste
• Refill 70% ethanol spray bottles
• Wash reusable research items and glassware (automatic dishwasher)
• Clean tables, fridge, surfaces, microwave in break room
• Fill and sterilize pipette tip, centrifuge tube, and toothpick containers
• Keep chemical areas and sinks clean
• Manage supply of new and used Drosophila melanogaster media
• Manage CO2 tanks
• Make media and agar plates for bacterial cultures
• Notify supervisor of supplies that need restocking; shop in university storerooms
High school diploma or GED AND currently enrolled as a student at Indiana University.
Ability to interact courteously with diverse staff, students, faculty and other users of Biology Department facilities. Ability to handle uneven workflow and attention to detail. Ability to get along well with others and to work cooperatively in a team environment. Dependability and flexibility.
Lab experience or course work in biology, chemistry, and/or related fields.
For more information, see the complete job listing on Handshake. Check out the Newton lab website as well!