Announcing the First Language Learner Kickback Meeting on May 14, 2020
Dear Language Learners at IU and other Language Enthusiasts,
The IU Center for Language Technology (CeLT) and the Center for Language Excellence (CLE) are inviting you for an exciting online event for language learners—Language Learners Kickback. We plan to host this event regularly in future and we are excited to announce the first one! This event is open to both those who are enrolled in a language course and those who are simply interested in learning foreign/second languages.
Goals of the event:
- to meet peers who have similar interest
- to share language learning tips and experiences
- to support and motivate each other
- to get to know experts in language instruction
- to form a community of language learners
The host is Decker Pope, an undergraduate student learning both French and Estonian here at IU. He has been a lab assistant at Center for Language Technology (CeLT) starting September 2019. He is also one of the organizers of this event.
The presenter of the first event is also Decker. We hope to have more students volunteer to present in future, so please pay attention to the message to call for presenters for the next event.
The guest speaker is Dr. Karolina Serafin. She is a senior lecturer and Director of Language Instruction of Italian in French and Italian Department. She designed, developed, and taught several online courses. Her passion is to find ways to keep students engaged and responsible for their own learning process even in an online environment. She will focus on strategies necessary for the students to become strong and independent online language learners. She will guide the students to discovering how to develop and foster the inner motivation and necessary persistence to succeed in online environment. The skills that learners acquire while taking online courses are often transferable to other professional areas and deemed necessary by the majority of employers.
- Introduction: the goals of the event (3 minutes)
- Student Presentation: Introducing a tool for learning foreign language (8-10 minutes)
- Expert Presentation: Strategies for learning languages from an expert (10 minutes)
- Language trivia game and polls (5 minutes)
- Open Discussion on experiences of taking languages courses online during the COVID-19 time and potential topics/presenter for next month. (30 minutes)
Date: May 14th, Thursday, 2020
Time: 4-5 PM
Location: Zoom Meeting at https://iu.zoom.us/meeting/91977603179
How to connect: To ensure security of the meeting, it is required to log in with your Zoom account to access this meeting. For IU students, please log in from http://zoom.iu.edu/ .
Tech Support: If you have difficulty accessing the meeting, you can:
- Join support room to talk with our event tech support staff: https://iu.zoom.us/j/93233441416 (no sign in is required)
- Or call 812-855-0006 to talk with the event tech support staff
Decker Pope, CeLT
Umida Khikmatillaeva, CLE
Xiaojing Kou, CeLT & CLE