Burn injuries are traumatic and even life-threatening for the several victims. Some of them suffer from physical and emotional scars that can last all life. Burn injuries range from minor to severe to serious. It can be a burn from accident during bonfire or from unsafe chemical product kept improperly.
Burn injuries because of someone else’s negligence are eligible for compensation against the medical expenses and sufferings. According to 2018, fact sheet published by the American Burn Association burn injuries are still the leading cause of accidental injury and death in the US. One fire death happens every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
It is wise to hire an experienced personal injury lawyer, who has required skills and knowledge to handle burn injury cases and obtain fair justice.
Different kinds of burn injuries
- Chemical burns – These occur because of misuse of chemical products because of strong percentage of acids or bases in it. Strong acids damage cell coagulation and bases liquefy cells. Chemical burn occurs instantly on contact.
- Thermal burns – When a person comes in contact with flames or fire directly thermal burns are caused. Burns damage several skin layers. Skin layers damage extent will depend on the contact duration and temperature with heat source. Prolonged contact can cause 4th degree burns. Thermal burns can even damage all the skin layers, blood vessels, nerve endings, muscles, glands, and even bones.
- Radiation burns – If you are being treated from cancer or your job is to work around radiation then you can be a victim of radiation burns. When ionizing radiation connects with body cells, it interacts and damages them resulting in erythema or redness around the damaged area.
- Electrical burns – When a person comes in contact with live wire then electricity rapidly passes deep below human skin causing substantial damage. Electrical burns cause sub-dermal damage, it means tissue beneath the skin gets seriously damaged. Tissue damage may not be apparent but the victim can possibly suffer from brain damage or heart attack. Electrocution happens commonly at workplace.
- Scalding – When hot liquid like overheated bathwater comes in contact with skin scalding occurs. Cooking related scalding injuries are also experienced. It is frequent in kids under the age of five.
- Car accidents – Presence of inflammable objects or gasoline can cause explosion and fires, during serious car accident situation. If this explosive accident was due to driver’s negligence or distraction or drunk condition then the victim is entitled for a compensation.
Consequences of burn injuries
Severe burns can affect more than the physical body.
- Disfigurement and scars
- Severe psychological damage
- Burns damage skin’s protective barrier exposing victim to infection
- Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome means lung failure that can be fatal
- First & second-degree burns heal without any need for skin graft because there is sufficient skin tissue that helps to rebuild.
- Third degree burns need artificial material or skin grafting to cover exposed area and activate new skin development.
The cost of burn injuries is in hundreds and thousands, so if you or your loved one is a victim of somebody’s carelessness and negligence then hire personal injury advocate to defend your rights.