Program dates: May 22–28, 2023
duo526 Sonata Seminar @ IU offers an intensive 7-day performance seminar to explore the art of listening for both pianists and violinists. Since 2018, duo526 Sonata Seminar has been offered at Brandon University, Canada and at Indiana University’s Jacobs Academy. Up to five violin and piano duos will be selected via the application process.
The daily schedule includes mentoring seminars, wellness sessions, individual coaching, training, and masterclasses. The program will culminate with a public recital performance on the final day. Any pianists or violinists aged 18+ are eligible to apply.
“DuWors and Niekawa are a beautifully balanced duo, with exceptional intonation and a tangible empathy” (Gramophone Magazine). duo526 was founded in 2011 at the Eastman School of Music and has performed across Canada, the U.S., and Japan. Dedicated to creative thought and the art of listening, their recordings have received critical acclaim. Their joy of collaboration results from risk-taking, inspiration, and spontaneous reactions. “Niekawa and DuWors create an art that goes beyond mere interpretation. The personality of the two musicians expands out with a creative attitude towards the world.” (Sonograma Magazine). Visit the duo526 website to learn more.
Fees and deadlines
- Non-Refundable Registration Fee – $70
- Early-bird registration – $800
- Full tuition – $850
- Application and registration fee due – March 10, 2023
- Acceptance notification – March 15, 2023
- Early-bird tuition payment due – April 1, 2023
- Full tuition payment due – May 1, 2023
Max. Number of Participants: 10 (5 Violin/Piano Duos)
Regardless of your duo partner’s plans (pre-formed or not), all intereted applicants should individually submit an applciation with the required audition materials:
Personal statement: Please write about your collaborative experience in a personal statement of approximately 500-words; include answers to the following questions:
- What are your long-term artistic goals?
- What do you hope to get out of duo526 Sonata Seminar @ IU?
- What has been your past experience in collaborative playing?
- Why do you value duo playing?
Recordings: Please provide recording links to two contrasting movements or works from the standard repertoire.
Repertoire list: Provide a list of sonata repertoire studied and performed.
Please contact Dr. Futaba Niekawa at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.
How to apply
- Eligibility: Accepting serious applicants, 18-years and older.
- Enrollment limit: 10 participants (5 violin/piano duos).
- Application process: To apply, please complete the online application and submit the Participant Agreement Form.
- Audition requirements: Submission procecedure to be announced.
- Housing information: Participants will be responsible for their own housing arrangements.
Registration to open January 2023!