Dunn Woods Memories

Dunn Woods, Natural Heart of IU

English Bluebells in Dunn Woods

| 0 comments

Hailing from the western edge of Europe from Britain and Ireland all the way to Spain, Hyacinthoides non-scripta, the common European bluebell is well loved whereever it blooms, but it is not native to the U.s.A. There are a bunch planted along the path to north of Dunn Woods, and years ago they escaped into the the woods (in Europe they are considered to be be a sign of old growth wood when they are found wild in a forest).

So I was thinking that as we are willing to cut native plants down in the woods (Poke and May Apple), and to remove the invasive and destructive euonymous, perhaps we should remove some of the English bluebells. I had this thought just as I noticed just last week that they were starting to bloom.

English Bluebells, Hyacinthoides non-scripta

So on my way downtown on Sunday morning, I was surprised and pleased to find that someone had read my mind, and done a lot of the work in removing the plants on the east end of the woods! Well done IU Office of Sustainability, along with the removal of the euonymous, a great step forward. Now if we can keep from hurting the native plants and creating sterile mud strips along the paths holes, things be going well.

English Bluebells on path

English Bluebells on path