Join a team of seven researchers spread across the country studying student perspectives of their privacy and educational data mining. The position begins mid-August, 2018 and ends in May, 2019. There is a possibility to extend the position an additional year. Each research assistant will work closely with one of two researchers: either Dr. Kyle M. L. Jones (IUPUI) or Dr. Andrew Asher (IU-B). Primary responsibilities entail supporting the researchers with interview-based data gathering and analysis practices, but also include literature searching and analysis (e.g., annotated literature writing).
The team has budgeted $5,400 for each research assistant. Broken down, this equals 360 hours of work, where the student will get paid $15 per hour. The team expects the student to work at maximum 10 hours per week, depending on the ebb and flow of the project.
The team seeks a graduate student with some or all of the following skill sets:
- Familiarity with qualitative research methods
- An understanding of coding qualitative data
- Some knowledge of/experience with Nvivo or Dedoose
- An exact attention to detail
- Ability to document project progress in a clear manner
- Excellent command of the English language, both written and oral
- An interest in big data practices and their societal impacts
- A passion for understanding privacy issues
- A willingness to work on a team that primarily meets via web conferencing applications (e.g., Zoom, Skype)
In addition to the above, all applicants should have advanced competencies with the following technologies:
- Web conferencing tools (e.g., Zoom, Skype, Google Hangout)
- Desktop publishing tools (e.g., Microsoft Word, Apple Pages)
- Shared work suites of tools (e.g., Google Drive/Docs)
Interested students should email their (1) resume (2) a cover letter addressing their fit to and interests in the position to Dr. Jones (email@example.com). The cover letter must also indicate your willingness to allow either Dr. Jones or Dr. Asher review your electronic transcripts.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. If you have any questions about this position, please email Dr. Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org).