Beyond an Apple a Day: Providing Consumer Health Information at Your Library
Presented by Bobbi Newman, Community Engagement and Outreach Specialist, National Network of Libraries of Medicine
Friday September 20, 2019
9:00 am to 1:00 pm EST
Author’s Room, Indiana State Library
This hands-on class will cover the health information seeking behavior of consumers and the role of the librarian in the provision of health information for the public. Come learn about the evolution of consumer health, health literacy and the e-patient. Participants will leave equipped with knowledge of top consumer health sites. We will discuss creative ideas for health information outreach. The class will wrap up with an opportunity to explore effective marketing approaches and develop an elevator speech.
- Basics of consumer health and health literacy
- Conduct appropriate health reference
- Identify quality online health information
- Identify, select, and provide appropriate health information for patrons
- Recall and locate at least one National Library of Medicine health resource
- Develop ideas to create health related programs and services
This course is provided by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine and offers 4 CE hours from the Medical Library Assocation (MLA) and 4 LEUs from the Indiana State Library.
Directions and parking instructions will be emailed to those who register. Questions may be directed to Kara Cleveland, Professional Development Office Supervisor, Indiana State Library – firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-232-3718.