Advocates for Equity is an IU group of male faculty, working as an auxiliary to the Center of Excellence for Women & Technology, who interface primarily with other men to promote and support gender equity efforts at Indiana University. Thus far, more than 200 faculty men have participated in a workshop to focus on promoting more equitable environments for all. This new assistantship will work with the faculty Advocates group to launch an initiative that focuses on building a network of graduate men Allies who serve as gender equity advocates on the IU campus. The person in this position will report to the CEW&T Executive Director and will work with the Advocate and Allies Faculty Chair and team.
- Launch, build, and grow an engaged CEW&T learning community of male allies with a focus on the graduate student population.
- Create a strategic plan for the team and include mission, goals, marketing, implementation plan and desired outcomes.
- Schedule workshops, schedule/lead workshops and related events, and recruit peer advocates, market to graduate students
- Provide timely reports to Advocates and CEW&T regarding marketing plans, attendance, and assessment information following various programs.
- Commit to CEW&T’s mission and to the goals of the team to develop a meaningful community.
- Serve as a CEW&T role model on IU’s campus.
- Be an advocate for women and underrepresented groups.
- Attend monthly Allies and Advocates faculty meetings.
- Submit weekly progress reports to Advocates and Allies chair and CEW&T director.
- Assist with and participate in the Faculty Advocate program during the academic year.
97% of tuition and fees for up to 9 credits per semester + a stipend of $18-20,000 for 20 hours per week while classes are in session beginning Fall 2019.
- Enrolled graduate student at IU Bloomington for the 2019-2020 school year
- Supportive of CEWiT’s mission and willing to learn new skills
- Experience working with students
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Interest in equity issues
- Ability to plan and execute programs and events with little supervision
- Demonstrated leadership ability and initiative
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others
Interested applications should submit a resume and cover letter to Dr. Maureen Biggers, CEW&T Executive Director at email@example.com. Posting will remain open until the position is filled.