Description/Responsibilities: The Westfield Washington Public Library serves a rapidly growing and vibrant community. We are looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, creative and knowledgeable 21stcentury librarian to provide reference and reader’s advisory for the children of our area, who will be responsible for infant and school age (including STEM and STEAM) programming, as well as some children’s collection development.
Qualifications: Indiana Public Librarian Certificate IV or an ALA accredited MLS degree is required; will consider applicants who will receive their MLS degree within one year from date of hire. Excellent customer service and organizational skills. Knowledge of children’s reference, Evergreen ILS and children’s literature. Knowledge of principles, methods and practices of library services including collection development and programming. Must be willing to work nights and weekends. 30-35 hours per week.
Salary: $17.00 per hour (minimum) with benefits.
Contact: Send resume and 3 references to: Sheryl A. Sollars, Westfield Washington Public Library, 333 W. Hoover Street, Westfield, IN 46074 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Available: Immediately.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Title: Children’s Librarian
Reports to: Children’s Services Manager
Status: Librarian II – Staff – Professional – Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: 7
General Summary: Assists with the planning, organizing and coordinating of activities connected with the selection, maintenance and operation of the Children’s Services Department. Presents infant and school age programming.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greets patrons in a friendly manner and provides good customer service to both library users and coworkers.
- Responsible for the selection, maintenance, and promotion of the areas of the Children’s collection as designated by the Children’s Services Manager.
- Nonfiction, biographies, Award books, and Audiobook CDs and Music CDs.
- Responsible for planning, implementing, and overseeing all aspects of school age and infant programming.
- Back up for storytimes when necessary.
- Promotes good public relations for the Department and the Library.
- Serve on Library Committees when necessary.
- Participates in professional organizations, conferences and continuing education seminars/webinars to keep up to date on professional library practices as they relate to the library.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attend library and community meetings as necessary.
- Follows Library policies and procedures.
- Knows how to use necessary library equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Children’s Services Manager.
- Indiana Public Librarian Certificate IV or Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA Accredited college or university or equivalent.
- Previous Library experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles of good customer service and effective public relations as they relate to the Children’s Services
- Interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact and deal tactfully with the public and other staff members, with an emphasis on young people and their caregivers.
- Ability to learn and adapt.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Broad knowledge of modern library systems, materials, services, programs and equipment and the ability to apply that knowledge.
- Above average computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software in a Windows environment, along with basic Internet research capabilities.
- Keep up to date and proficient with the technology as it relates to the position.
Ability to speak, hear and see
- Ability to sit or stand for an extended length of time
- Ability to occasionally reach with hands and arms
- Ability to occasionally climb, balance, stoop, kneel and crawl
- Ability to occasionally lift or move up to 40 lbs.
- Normal office environment with little, if any, discomfort due to heat, dust, noise and the like.
- Occasional travel to various Library and community locations.
More information can be found here: http://wwpl.lib.in.us/employment-opportunities/