Please find the attached description for an internship opportunity for students interested in youth or school librarianship, or general library services. Note the application deadline to apply with the library’s contact person. After interviewing, the library institution makes the final decision on the appropriate candidate to hire.
Once you are hired by the library, please complete and turn in the S605 Internship Application https://soic.iupui.edu/careers/internships/lis-internships/
to both Kym Kramer, LIS intern supervisor (firstname.lastname@example.org), and your academic advisor as close to March 15, 2018 as possible.
Questions specific to the internship placement are directed to the institution’s contact listed in the attachment. General questions about internships are directed at email@example.com.
Internship Title: Children’s Services Librarian Intern
Department: Children Services, Main Library
Reports to: Children’s Services Manager
Salary: $14 per hour
Start date: May 14, 2018
Projected end date: August 3, 2018
Schedule: Flexible schedule that may include evenings and weekends
Application Deadline: March 9, 2018
Internship Summary: We are seeking an energetic, enthusiastic Children’s Services Intern who truly enjoys working with children from birth through sixth grade. He/she should also be well-versed in current children’s literature, programming, and trends. This internship will provide the prospective candidate with the opportunity to gain hands-on, practical experience in children’s librarianship in a public library setting.
Internship job duties and responsibilities may include any of the following:
- Interacting with customers at the Children’s Desk by answering reference questions and providing Reader’s Advisory.
- Implementing all aspects of children’s programs, including designing and delivering by setting up, presenting/facilitating, interacting directly with children, and cleaning up.
- Helping with all aspects of the Summer Reading Program, including programs, outreach, signing customers up, and distributing prizes.
- Assisting with all aspects of collection development, including selection and weeding of the children’s print collection.
- Creating children’s displays.
- Attending monthly Children’s Services Department meetings and Programming Team meetings, plus various staff training sessions as needed.
- Completing other related tasks and projects as directed and assigned by the Children’s Services Manager.
To apply or for more information contact:
Staci Terrell, Children’s Services Manager
Anderson Public Library
111 E. 12th Street
Anderson, IN 46016