Please find the attached description for an internship opportunity for students interested in law, specialty, or academic library settings. Students must have completed at least 18 hours of course work prior to an internship placement. Note the application deadline to apply with the library’s contact person. After interviewing, the library institution makes the final decision on the appropriate candidate to hire.
Once you are hired by the library, please complete and turn in the S605 Internship Application https://soic.iupui.edu/careers/internships/lis-internships/
to both Kym Kramer, LIS intern supervisor (email@example.com), and your academic advisor as close to March 15, 2018 as possible.
Questions specific to the internship placement are directed to the institution’s contact listed in the attachment. General questions about internships are directed at firstname.lastname@example.org.
INDIANA SUPREME COURT, OFFICE OF JUDICIAL ADMINISTRATION
Job Title: Reference/Catalog Intern Department: Supreme Court Services, Law Library Location: Indiana State House Salary: $12.00 per hour (parking including, but not guaranteed Status: Internship, (Schedule and hours to be discussed & agreed upon between the successful candidate & the hiring manager in accordance with the Indiana Supreme Court’s Attendance & Work Schedule policy)
Duration: 1 semester, potentially longer
Responsible To: Supervisor of Supreme Court Services and the Supreme Court Librarian
To Apply: Submit cover letter & resume by March 5, 2018, to HRCourts@courts.IN.gov.
This position serves as a Librarian Intern and will provide the successful candidate with the opportunity to gain hands-on, practical experience in law librarianship in a court/public library setting.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities Under the direction of the Librarian provide legal research and reference services to the judges, staff, and agencies of the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals; other state agencies; the Office of the Governor; the legislature; members of the private bar; and the citizens of Indiana.
- Assist staff in the maintenance of the online library catalog using the Koha integrated library system.
- Assist in preparation of library/court materials for bindery and the processing of claims of lost/missing items.
- Assist with Interlibrary loan requests using an automated system when needed.
- Assist in collection maintenance and development which may include shifting and reorganizing research materials as directed.
- Assists the Supreme Court Librarian and other staff in the development of user guides or other materials to assist court personnel in the use of library resources.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Supreme Court librarian.
Qualifications Coursework in the Law Librarianship (LIS S654) completed or currently enrolled.
Additional preferred coursework:
- Criminal justice, Business Law or other government related reference subject areas o LIS S525, LIS S526, LIS S522 or LIS521 or LIS S506
- Law Librarianship (LIS S654) completed or currently enrolled
- Cataloging (LIS S504) OCLC or other similar system (LIS S554)
- Digitization o LIS S401, LIS S352
NOTE: This document is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. It is not intended to provide an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities, nor is it intended to limit the authority of supervisors or managers to assign or direct the activities of employees.
The Indiana Supreme Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer.