Join IUNI! We’re hiring a Research Data Engineer (Research Software Developer). As a member of the IU Network Science Institute’s IT Team, you will fill a vital role in our cross disciplinary team by bringing your expertise to both existing and exciting, new projects in fields like big data, sociology, and brain science. For more information and examples of projects you’ll be working on, click here.
Department Specific Responsibilities
- Designs and develops data storage solutions and ETL pipelines to accommodate Faculty and Staff requirements.
- Builds and consumes various third-party APIs; understands and offers advice on using them.
- Manages, understands, and advises users on IUNI owned/administered datasets.
- Helps with developing data management policies, terms of service, etc.
- Understands and maintains compliance with data access and storage policies.
- Uses and advises on IU data and compute resources.
- Collaborates with IUNI and UITS staff to fulfill these duties.
- Provides experienced analysis and programming related to the design, development, and support of research systems.
- Develops and implements well-engineered software that supports and enriches research productivity and reliability; evolves software development and data services with the research to ensure that modern standards of reproducible code are kept.
- Operates, monitors, and maintains the integrity of a broad scope of CI systems (storage, cluster computing, databases, virtual machines, network…).
- Provides experienced consultation to researchers in the use of a broad set of state-of-the-art research systems, tools, and software to enable research productivity; partners with researchers to co-create and co-learn relevant computing and data capabilities.
- Connects, facilitates, and participates in interactions between researchers and technology providers; provides regular communications to the systems and software/data professionals.
- Engages and advises a broad set of researchers through support requests and providing advanced understanding (i.e. email, ticketing systems, chats); follows and contributes in establishing best practice documentation, processes and procedures to remediate support request.
- Supports and collaborates with researchers and other key IT (e.g. network and security) and Data Center partners.
- Builds and maintains relationships across the various CI teams to support researchers’ needs in a timely manner; keeps up with the pace of complex research problems.
- Enhances learning with full awareness of the local research computing and data landscape.
- Works on grant funded projects with a diverse set of stakeholders including CI professionals and faculty members.
For more details, see the full positionlisting:
- Link for non-IU employees
- Link for current IU employees