September and October are the months of career fairs- trust us, we know our stuff- so we thought that you all would appreciate this #TipTuesday from Indiana INTERNnet! They’ve given us a list of DOs & DON’Ts for upcoming career fairs!
- Your research! Look at what companies are attending the career fair first and narrow your options down to maximize your time at the event.
- Prepare an “elevator pitch” that you can practice saying to each company/recruiter you plan to visit – a short, 30-second to a minute speech focusing on what you are looking for and what you can offer.
- Have questions prepared.
- Bring enough copies of your resume, business cards, etc.
- Dress professionally.
- Follow up with recruiters once you leave.
- Spend time with recruiters or companies that don’t interest you.
- Eliminate companies from your list just because they’re recruiting for positions outside your field. Keep your options open!
- Be afraid or intimidated by recruiters. It’s their job to help students in all kinds of industries try and find something they are passionate about.
- Drop your resume off at a table and leave. Every resume drop should include an introduction and valuable conversation.
- Ask, “Can you help me find a job?” There are many ways to ask for help without starting from direct self-interest.
- Say negative things to your recruiter about your college or previous job experiences.
Indiana INTERNnet is an organization dedicated to serving students & employers! They offer a way for students to connect with employers, tips for students to learn about the benefits of interning, along with many other things. Learn more about them here!