All fall semester meetings start at 10:00 am in DW 1001.
- Call to order
- Approval of minutes for September and October
- Faculty awards (EVC Joseph)
- Proposed nominating committee for 2018-2019 elected Senate offices and committees: Deb Mar (Biology-COAS), Sharon Jones (Nursing-CHS), Jeremy Linton (Counseling and Human Services-SOE)
- Constitutional amendments. a) Updating titles and other non-controversial changes to the Constitution as part of the transition to a new online format (links below), b) Adding item 2.2.C of faculty legislative authorities from the Constitution of the Indiana University Faculty verbatim to the list of faculty legislative authorities contained in V.2.a of the Constitution of the Academic Senate for IU South Bend: “Standards and procedures for creation, reorganization, merger, and elimination of academic programs and units.” This would become the ninth item in that list, with the intention of following this change with a consideration of existing IU policies for these kinds of changes, such as ACA-79.
- Endorsement of the IUSB faculty statement on the teacher-scholar model (link below). Motion: “In response to a call for a position statement on the value of a “teacher-scholar model” of excellence, IUSB faculty drafted and revised this document and the Academic Senate endorses it today.”
- Update from the Carnegie Task Force (links below)
- Update from the General Education Task Force
- Update on the new summer bridge program for conditionally admitted students (link below)
- The Committee on Teaching questioning the use of bar graph data in the campus’s PTR and awards process (link below)
- The Facilities Management Committee’s update on the condition of Northside Hall during construction (link below)
- Update on childcare from the Faculty Working Group on Childcare at IUSB (link below)
- President’s remarks
- Announcements and motion to adjourn
Versions of the Constitution for item 5.a. Three versions: 1) the current Constitution of the Academic Senate, 2) the Constitution with proposed changes in names, titles, and other easy corrections with those changes visible in red, and 3) the Constitution as it will appear if the Senate approves these changes. Suggestion: quickly skim the second of these documents to check the proposed changes.
Teacher-Scholar Model document as drafted and revised through faculty conversations this semester. If you have not seen this document or its earlier version produced a few years ago by CLAS, please review it ahead of the meeting.
Carnegie Task Force slides. A brief Powerpoint deck introducing the definition of engaged campus that will advance the application for the Engaged Campus designation. See especially slides 4 and 5.
General Education Task Force. The short version of the three proposed new general education plans. The long version. As requested, the slides from their October presentation and the LEAP criteria for excellence. We will hear about the plans for the next several weeks rather than discussing the lengthy documents linked in this paragraph.
Mandatory Summer Bridge proposal.
Committee on Teaching. Discussion of presentation of data in course evaluations, proposing that bar graphs be removed.
Facilities Management Committee report on Northside Hall renovation and disarray during construction. A summary of the report will be presented and an opportunity for administrators to suggest a path forward.
Childcare at IUSB, an update.
President McRobbie’s seven initiatives. The State of the University address from October, containing seven initiatives on teaching excellence