IU Kicks Butts Day!

Wednesday, March 22 is the first annual IU Kicks Butts Day! Join us at Wellness at Wells from 1:00-3:00 p.m. (Wells Library Learning Commons, Room 138) for tobacco cessation activities, wellness assessments, free quit kits, free massage, aromatherapy, frisbees, and other fun giveaways!

Did you know Indiana University Bloomington’s campus is tobacco-free?

Quit now. We won’t lecture you. You probably already know that using tobacco is expensive, dangerous, and dirty. We offer support, counseling, and free nicotine replacement therapy, including patches, gum, and lozenges.

In 2016, Indiana University Health Center was awarded a $20,000 grant as part of the American Cancer Society and the CVS Health Foundation’s Tobacco-Free Generation Campus Initiative (TFGCI), a $3.6 million multi-year program intended to accelerate and expand the adoption and implementation of 100 percent smoke- and tobacco-free campus policies. This grant supports our Refresh IU tobacco-free activities, including Kicks Butts Day!

“April 1 is my 30th anniversary of being tobacco free,” said Cathy Wyatt, IU Health Center Assistant Director of Disease Prevention Programs. “I used tobacco beginning when I was 15 years old, sneaking a cigarette butt out of my father’s ashtray. My father was my hero and I wanted to be like him, but that first inhale was followed by 18 years of a heavy addiction. During those years I smoked in the car, in the house and at my work bench in Dad’s Neon Sign shop where I worked. I smoked over two packs a day when I finally came to terms with the cost, health benefits, and how I was role modeling an unhealthy behavior to my own children.”

According to the CDC, tobacco use remains the single largest preventable cause of death and disease. Many students and employees feel stress from school, work, or family expectations and use tobacco for coping. We do our best to make the process of becoming tobacco-free as easy as possible in a judgment-free environment.

“30 years after becoming tobacco-free, I still wake up thankful that I’m not controlled by something that doesn’t walk, talk, think, or reason,” said Wyatt. “I’m happy to be here to help anyone who wants freedom from tobacco.”

Want to share your own story? Leave a comment here or share it on social media this Wednesday with #IUKicksButts!

Tobacco cessation appointments can be made in groups or individually and are FREE! Tobacco cessation sessions are scheduled for Indiana Memorial Union Room M005, or the IU Health Center on Tenth and Jordan. To make an appointment, call 812-856-4468 or join us this Wednesday to chat and set up an appointment in person.

Interested in helping other students with tobacco cessation and more? Check out our student Peer Health and Wellness Educator program. Applications are open now through April 1.