The University of Louisville (UofL) Kornhauser Health Sciences Library (KHSL) invites applications from creative and self-motivated candidates for the position of Web & Technology Librarian.
This outgoing individual will 1) maintain the public web presence of the health sciences library, 2) program web-based applications for the University Libraries and 3) evaluate, implement and maintain awareness of emerging technologies in an academic and health sciences library environment. The library provides information and research support to the students, staff, and faculty of the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, and Public Health.
This is a full-time, non-tenure track, faculty position reporting to the Director of the Kornhauser Health Sciences Library. The web programming portion of the position (20%) will be under the direction of the Head, Web Services. The entry rank and salary of the successful candidate are dependent on experience and qualifications.
- Design, maintain, and assess the library web site and other digital systems and resources.
- Provide programming code for interactive interfaces and web-based applications.
- Maintain, evaluate, and implement emerging and evolving technologies.
- Work with Collection Services and Electronic Resources Librarian to manage, troubleshoot, and test electronic resources (e.g. platforms for databases, journals, eBooks, etc.) both on and off site.
- Work with the appropriate library and university technology offices, departments, and committees.
- Recommend and oversee the purchase of technology (hardware, software, web-based) to meet the needs of library faculty, staff and users.
- Manage expansion of research data services provided by University Libraries. Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop data management training programs, online resources, and workshops for the library employees and the university research community.
- Supervise the KHSL IT staff person.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent; or an advanced degree in technology or other relevant discipline. Degrees must be granted by June 2019.
- Demonstrated ability in web application development.
- Demonstrated evidence of skills in web development, including HTML, CSS, and knowledge of accessibility standards.
- Demonstrated ability to learn and use new technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in multiple formats to diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated evidence of initiative and flexibility with planning and problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to work creatively, collaboratively and effectively as both a team member and independently.
- Additional education or certification in related fields.
- Experience in managing technology.
- Experience and/or interest in digital scholarship services.
- Experience using and/or using LibGuides.
- Experience or familiarity with data resources such as Python, REDCap or DMPTool.
- Experience with providing access to electronic resources and authentication methods.
- Experience in a health sciences library.
- Health sciences background.
Promotion within the University Libraries requires demonstration of scholarship and professional service. The Libraries offer a comprehensive benefits package and annual vacation of 22 working days.
The University of Louisville is a Carnegie research university serving 21,000 students in the state’s largest urban area. Kornhauser Health Sciences Library is located at the downtown Health Sciences Center, three miles north of the main university campus, Belknap Campus. The Health Sciences Center is home to over 50% of the university faculty and receives 90% of grant funding.
With a national reputation for its high-quality undergraduate programs and over twenty nationally recognized research, graduate, and professional programs, the University also has as a strong commitment to the community in which it resides. The University Libraries joined the 126-member Association of Research Libraries in 2002. The city of Louisville offers hospitality, warmth and smaller city advantages like shorter commutes and lower cost of living alongside major city amenities such as world-class performing arts, great sports, incredible dining, and a nationally-acclaimed parks system.
Nominations are sought and welcome. Applications should be submitted electronically at http://louisville.edu/hr/employment/jobs/currentopenings. JOB ID: 37080 Completed applications should include a current curriculum vita, a letter of interest detailing your relevant experience, strengths and accomplishments, and the contact information for three references IN ONE PDF. The Search Committee will begin a confidential review of completed applications on May 24, 2019; the position is open until filled. Questions about the position or application process may be addressed to:
Director, Kornhauser Health Sciences Library
University of Louisville
500 S. Preston Street
Louisville, KY 40292
502.852.5775 or email@example.com
Official transcripts for required degrees must be received prior to employment. Proper documentation of identity and employability are also required. A criminal background report will be completed on the chosen candidate.
The University of Louisville is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Americans with Disabilities Employer, committed to diversity and in that spirit, seeks applications from a broad variety of candidate